EOI – COVID-19 Vaccine Training FAQs
The Australian Government has partnered with the Australian College of Nursing to develop and deliver free and accredited training modules for individuals involved in the administration of COVID-19 vaccines.
In preparation for Australia’s vaccine rollout, authorised immunisation providers must complete COVID-19 vaccination training to ensure competency standards are met to administer COVID-19 vaccines. An expert advisory group, comprising of key peak body representatives and professional colleges are assisting to develop, review and finalise the training materials.
COVID-19 vaccine training modules are categorised into two groups, core and additional.
Core COVID-19 modules involve training for COVID-19 vaccination more broadly.
Additional COVID-19 modules are specific to individual vaccine candidates.
Core COVID-19 training modules will cover:
- handling and storage
- multi-dose vial (MDV) training
- delivery mechanisms of the vaccine
- administrative reporting including eligibility checking
- safety and surveillance monitoring and reporting for adverse events following immunisation
Additional COVID-19 training modules include specific training for:
- Oxford University/AstraZeneca
- future vaccines (i.e as possible new vaccines emerge).
Information on the training requirements can be found on the Department’s website.
COVID-19 Vaccine Training FAQs
When will training be made available?ExpandClose
The COVID-19 Vaccination Training Program is now available, and can be accessed via: https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-vaccination-training-program.
The training link includes:
– Modules targeted at health professionals in hospitals who will be administering the Pfizer vaccine.
– Modules for health professionals who will be administering the AstraZeneca vaccine. AstraZeneca vaccines will be made available to pharmacies with successful EOI outcomes.
Pharmacies are advised to await confirmation that they will be a vaccination provider before accessing the training.
How long will training take to complete?ExpandClose
The training will take approximately 3-4 hours to complete.